It’s Friday – time for a random mish mash.
- I am a journal junkie. There I said it. I have journals and notebooks all over the house. And they all have something written in them. Well most of them, there are a couple I haven’t used yet, but I’m sure I will soon. I also have scraps of paper with notes in various places, not to mention all the notes I have stored on my phone too. And it would appear that some habits are learned and not genetic – because now Amy is doing the same thing. She will leave notes on her bedroom floor at night so she remembers something in the morning. She keeps a notebook next to her bed and writes down all sorts of random thoughts and questions, usually just before she falls asleep.
- When you become a parent watching the news affects you in a different way. I watched our local news last night (which I don’t normally do for many reasons) and was reminded of one of the reasons why I don’t watch. There was a story on about a 12 year old (6th grader) who had made a hit list, obtained guns (how does this happen?), and was planning on killing at least 20 classmates, teachers, family members, and who knows who else. Having a 5th grader really brought this story close to home. Thankfully this year we don’t have any bullies in the class (like we did last year), but still, I don’t know anything about any of the other classes. As a parent I pray every day for the safety of my daughter and those that she is with.
- If you follow me on Facebook or Twitter you’ve probably seen posts about #savebluelikejazz. Well I am happy to say the movie has been saved and it is amazing what 4495 people have done over the period of 30 days. Most of it was small donations, and they added up and came together to raise $345,992 to make this movie. Filming has begun in Nashville, will continue in Portland, and the movie will be released some time next year. If you go, look for my name in the credits, amongst the other 4494 people that will be listed. 🙂 It’s the first time in history that a movie has been crowd source funded. Hopefully it won’t be the last. There are a lot of great ideas out there that deserve to be developed. Check out Kickstarter for more.
- It’s hard to believe it’s been two months since we’ve moved. Time has flown by. And it doesn’t show any signs of slowing down. Every time I look it seems there is something new on the calendar.
- I was trying to explain the concept of divorce to Amy the other day. This came about because of the news of Miley Cyrus’s parents getting a divorce. In order for her to understand, I used Dean & myself and our stuff as an example to illustrate what happens. After trying to explain the concept of “equitable distribution” she came to the conclusion that if Dean & I should ever divorce she would want to live with him because he would have the big tv and would take her to Kentucky Fried Chicken for dinner. She was also quite adamant about the fact that she would keep her “stuff”. And no, don’t read anything in to that other than it was for the purpose of an illustration. We’ve been married for 20 years and are still very happy and very much in love.
- Now it’s time to go get ready for a Halloween party. Not my favorite holiday, but at least I get the chance to spend time with my favorite 10 year old and meet some more of her friends.